Home / News / International / 20 Saudi Soldiers Charged As Turkey Begins Khashoggi Murder Trial

20 Saudi Soldiers Charged As Turkey Begins Khashoggi Murder Trial

Twenty Saudi nationals have gone on trial in absentia in Turkey for the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

Khashoggi, a prominent critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed by a team of Saudi agents inside the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul.

The defendants include two former aides to the prince, who denies involvement.

Khashoggi’s Turkish fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, was allowed to attend the hearing.

She later told journalists gathered outside the courtroom that she found the process emotionally and spiritually debilitating.

Cengiz expressed confidence in the Turkish judicial system and declared: “Our search for justice will continue in Turkey as well as in everywhere we can.”

Agnes Callamard, a UN Special Rapporteur, who was also at the hearing, said: “We have not moved the killing of Jamal Khashoggi into a formal setting that the international community can recognise, because the trial in Saudi Arabia could not be given credibility and legitimacy.”

“Here for the first time, we have the hitmen being indicted and we have a number of those have commissioned the crime,” she added.

The 59-year-old journalist, who went into self-imposed exile in the US in 2017, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate on 2 October 2018 to obtain papers he needed to marry Ms Cengiz.

After listening to purported audio recordings of conversations inside the consulate made by Turkish intelligence, Ms Callamard concluded that Khashoggi was “brutally slain” that day.

The Saudi government said the journalist was killed in a “rogue operation” by a team of agents.

Saudi Arabia’s public prosecution said the murder was ordered by the head of a “negotiations team” sent to Istanbul to bring Khashoggi back to the kingdom “by means of persuasion” or, if that failed, “by force”.

Saudi Arabia, which rejected Turkey’s extradition request, convicted eight people over the murder last year.

Five were sentenced to death for directly participating in the killing, while three others were handed prison sentences for covering up the crime.

The eight individuals who were convicted of Khashoggi’s murder in Saudi Arabia have never been identified by the Saudi authorities.

Khashoggi’s son Salah, who lives in Saudi Arabia, said in May that he and his brothers were “pardoning those who killed our father, seeking reward from God almighty”.

That effectively granted them a formal reprieve under Saudi law.

BBC

About Gabriel Ntoka

Check Also

Sowore Calls On Burna Boy To Join Him For October 1 Protest

Omoyele Sowore, convener of the #RevolutionNow movement, has called on Damini Ogulu, a Nigerian singer …

Failure In Families Responsible For Nigeria’s Leadership Woes – Aregbesola

FG Declares October 1 Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Thursday, October 1, 2020, as a public holiday to commemorate …

Leave a Reply

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
WhatsApp Newsbreak