Ashya King’s Parents Freed From Spanish prison

The parent of Ashya, Brett and Naghemeh King who were detained for taking 5-year-old Ashya, who has a brain tumour, from a Southampton hospital against medical advice, has been freed.

They were released following UK prosecutors withdrawal 0f a European arrest warrant, stating that they were happy any risk to Ashya's life "was not as great or immediate as... originally thought".

Ashya is being treated in a hospital in Malaga.

In a statement earlier, the Crown Prosecution Service said it had "urgently reviewed the case and we consider there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction for any criminal offence".

Ashya's disappearance from Southampton General Hospital on Thursday led to searches in France and Spain.

Speaking to the BBC about the latest events, Ashya's brother Danny said his parents were in a state of shock about their experiences.

"[But they are] just happy right now that they can go and see Ashya," he said.

"They didn't understand why so many people were outside, so many reporters, because ever since they've been arrested they haven't been able to look at the news,.

"[My dad] didn't know what to do, didn't know what to think, his only worry was when can we go and see Ashya. My mum is so emotional at the moment."

Prime Minister David Cameron earlier welcomed the move to drop the prosecution.

In a tweet, he said: "It's important this little boy gets treatment & the love of his family."

Ashya was diagnosed with a medulloblastoma, a type of brain tumour, which was successfully removed by surgeons last month.

However, in order to help prevent its return his parents wanted him to be given proton beam therapy - a treatment the NHS does not provide in the UK, but does refer patients to other countries to undergo.

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust had said Ashya's chances of recovery with regular treatment were "very good", but stressed there was "no benefit to him of proton radiotherapy over standard radiotherapy".

It was then "during unsupervised leave on the trust's grounds, Ashya's family chose to remove him without informing or seeking the consent of medical staff," the trust said.

"When Ashya went missing last week we had no option but to call the police because we did not know where he was or what his parents' intentions were," a spokesman added.

An internal inquiry into the case has begun at Southampton General Hospital, the BBC understands.

The Prime Minister's spokesman also confirmed the Home Office had been in discussions with Hampshire Constabulary about the force's handling of the investigation.

Latest in this Category