Synagogue Tragedy: Death Toll Hits 80

Lateef Ibirogba
Lateef Ibirogba
The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, said it has evacuated 80 bodies from the collapsed building at the Synagogue Church in Ikotun Egbe. The Lagos State Government has assured it would not preempt investigators as to what caused the incident. The State’s Physical Planning and Urban Development Commissioner, Olutoyin Ayinde, added that the affected six-storied building was not approved before it was  constructed. He foreclosed any plan by the government to shut the premises though. NEMA South West Information Officer, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the total number of deaths have risen to 80, with 131 survivors. The South African Government, which earlier claimed 67 of its nationals died in the incident, said about 300 of them split in different groups visited the church before the tragedy occurred last Friday. But Mac Maharaj, a spokesman for the government said it was not clear how many were on the spot when the incident happened. He added that the Synagogue Church was popular with South Africans. Also, Nigeria’s First Lady Patience Jonathan has commiserated with families of the victims of the collapsed building at the Synagogue Church of All Nations at Ikotun Egbe, Lagos Her media assistant, Ayo Adewuyi, said the First Lady had been moved by reports that women and children died in the collapsed building. “As the mother of the nation, my thoughts are with you and the entire congregation at this time of your grief,” Adewuyi spoke of Mrs. Jonathan. She reportedly offered condolences to bereaved  familiesand the General Overseer of the church, Prophet T. B. Joshua.  
ads

Latest in this Category

ads