Negotiations between the Federal Government and representatives of the dreaded Islamic-sect, Boko Harm on the release of 219 abducted Chibok girls continue today (Monday) in Chad. This came as government declared that it had no reason to doubt the sect’s promise to release the girls against the backdrop of alleged breach of ceasefire agreement by the sect.
Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, last Friday, announced that Boko Haram had agreed to a ceasefire and instructed all the field commanders of the troops to observe the ceasefire.
A top military source said: “It is true that the sect demanded the release of some of their fighters and the Federal Government is ready to meet some of their conditions to secure the girls’ freedom. There are high hopes that the girls will be released; the military is ready to move in and bring out the girls when this is done. Already, the Federal Government has put machinery in motion to receive the girls once they are released.”
On the ceasefire agreement reached by the terrorists and the military, the source said that so far, the military is maintaining its part of the agreement, adding that the attacks allegedly carried out by the group in Borno and Adamawa States at the weekend were being investigated to ascertain those responsible.
Following the ceasefire agreement announced by the Chief of Defence Staff, the Defence headquarters has put Commanders of troops in the epicentre of the insurgency on standby as there were indications that the over 200 girls of the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok, Borno State, abducted in April 2014, by the terrorists group would be released.
Coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mike Omeri, at the weekend, confirmed that negotiations were going on with Boko Haram “Especially as it concerns release of the Chibok girls and the general insecurity in the Northeast and also the need to rescue all other captives of the terrorists. Already, the terrorists have announced a ceasefire in furtherance of their desire for peace. In this regard, the government of Nigeria has, in similar vein, declared ceasefire.”