President Goodluck Jonathan again refused to meet the Abuja family of #BringBackOurGirls, BBOG activists on Tuesday as heavily armed police and officials of other security agencies stopped the planned march of the group to Aso Rock Presidential Villa.
The group which is campaigning is pushing for the rescue of the schoolgirls abducted from the Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok, Borno, on 15 April had earlier indicated it intention to meet with the President to mark the 60 days anniversary of the abduction of the students.
But this was not to be, as heavily armed anti riot police men who had been deployed to all entrances very early on Tuesday morning to the Presidential Villa stood like a rock of Gilbratar against the protesters at the Yakubu Gowon Crescent, Asokoro, Abuja end where they had planned to enter.
Female officers in full riot gear formed the first line of a barricade against members of the group, stopping them from advancing further.
However, Zainab Maina, the Minister of Women Affairs who led other female Ministers to meet the activists later addressed the group. Maina told the protesters that the President is busy and he cannot meet them.
She said the President was the one who asked the female Minister to meet the protesters.
Maina, who was accompanied by Minister of Water Resources, Sarah Ochekpe, Minister of Environment, Lawrencia Laraba-Mallam, Minister of Land and Housing, Akon Eyakenyi, represented President Jonathan, said, “We are here to meet you because Mr. President, cannot come out, he has meetings and since already you are out that’s why we were asked to come here and meet with you and to apologise for his inability to be here personally.''