AFCON 2015 Hosting: Morocco Given 8 Nov. Deadline

The Confederation of African Football, CAF has reiterated it will not move the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations from January and has given Morocco until Saturday to decide if they will host as scheduled. Morocco want a postponement because of fears over the Ebola Virus Disease outbreak.

CAF has asked Morocco to “clarify their position” by 8 November, a deadline also given to any countries who may want to step in as replacement hosts.

The governing body says a final decision will be made on 11 November. After a meeting in Rabat on Monday, CAF tweeted that it was “unanimous on keeping competition on the dates; namely from 17 January to 8 February, 2015”, adding that Morocco has been asked “to clarify its final position of Morocco not later than 8 November”.

CAF also said it would convene again “on 11 November in Cairo, Egypt to take the necessary decisions” on the finals. The meeting in Rabat was fixed last month when Morocco wrote to CAF asking it to postpone the tournament after being advised by its own health ministry that hosting the 16-team tournament posed a risk of the spread of the deadly virus.

You should also read

Sign up for our Newsletter

Enter your email and stay on top of things,

Subscribe!