Ferguson Policeman Who Killed Black Teen Quits Force Over ‘Threats’

[caption id="attachment_2890" align="alignleft" width="400"]Wilson Wilson[/caption]

Darren Wilson, the man in the eye of the Ferguson Police shooting that killed an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, has resigned from the force. Wilson’s lawyer, Neil Bruntrager, confirmed his resignation. A media report quoted Wilson as saying his decision was of his “free will” and “not willing to let someone else get hurt” by staying put. Wilson said the police department has received threats of continued stand-offs between the police and the predominantly black community. The shooting, which took place on 9 August at a St. Louis suburb, has continually ignited hugely racially- tainted protests in the community, which has a record of unfriendliness and mutual distrust between a white-dominated police force and the overwhelmingly black community.

Community newspaper, St Louis Post-Dispatch, reported Wilson, 28,  said he had merely waited for the decision of the jury.


[caption id="attachment_2892" align="alignleft" width="400"]protesters protesters[/caption]

"For obvious reasons, I wanted to wait until the grand jury made their decision before I officially made my decision to resign.

“It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me. It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal.” The newspaper quoted Wilson as saying.

protest 2




The hope of many residents of African-American community that Wilson would have his day in court was dashed when the jury of nine white and three black members absolved him of deliberately murdering Brown and from facing criminal prosecution.

[caption id="attachment_2891" align="alignleft" width="400"]Brown Brown[/caption]

The verdict did not go down well with the black folks and instantly rekindled fresh wave of protests. It also sparked protests in other US cities, including New York and Washington. Brown’s family had reacted by saying they were ‘crushed’ by the jury’s verdict. While they tenaciously hold the opinion that Brown, 18, was deliberately murdered by Wilson, the former police officer has maintained he acted in self-defence and in line with his police training. Wilson claimed Brown had charged at him, slammed back the door of his police car at him while he tried to alight and lurched at his drawn gun.

Latest in this Category