Six people died in the Isolo area of Lagos State after consuming an Ibo delicacy, abacha. The people were said to have caught Cholera after consuming the contaminated food. The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, who briefed the press about the development at the state’s secretariat on Thursday, stated that 39 other persons were under observation and receiving treatment at public and private health facilities in the area. He stated that seven out of the 15 samples taken to the Public Health Laboratory, Yaba, tested positive to vibro cholerae, the bacteria responsible for the disease.
“Six deaths were recorded among the 45 cases. Majority of the patients did not present with the classical rice-water stool, rather they presented with atypical diarrhoea and vomiting.
“After a thorough analysis of the ano-rectal swabs that were collected from 15 cases, vibrio cholerae was confirmed and found to be the Ogawa strain of the virus.
“Twenty-two of the 26 that were being managed at the Isolo General Hospital and the Lagos Mainland Hospital have been discharged, one died, while three are still on admission at the Lagos Mainland Hospital. The three patients are still on admission but they are in stable condition,” he said.
The commissioner noted that the analysis done at the Lagos State Drug Quality Control Laboratory showed that the Abacha that was eaten by many of the victims, was the source of the infection.