An explosion from a suspected bomb has injured 29 people in the Chelsea area of New York, United States. The blast, which occurred on 23rd Street and Sixth Avenue around 8.30pm on Saturday is believed to have come from a trashcan. The incident has been labelled ‘an intentional act’ by the New York Police Department. The mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, said the attack had no connection to terrorism but had been ‘intentionally set off’. An eight-year-old boy was among the injured with one person said to be in critical condition.
Another device was found in a pressure cooker on 27th Street and Sixth Avenue, which was removed by the NYPD early on Sunday morning. The pressure cooker had different colored wires sticking out of it and was wrapped in a polythene bag with what appears to be a cell phone or timer connected to it.
The incident follows the pipe bombing of a military fun-run in New Jersey hours earlier. No one was injured in that attack.