By Ola Adeola
Patients and employees fled through the window of a burning hospital, in which at least 20 people died. The fire reportedly began at the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU) before spreading to the dialysis unit.
Sources said a fault electric circuit might have caused the spark, snowballing into a big fire. The casualties allegedly died from smoke inhalation.
The incident happened at the SUM hospital, a private facility in the city of Bhubaneswar in Orissa state, in India.
“The fire left 20 people dead and more than 100 people injured. They have been admitted to various hospitals in Bhubaneswar and the medical college in Cuttack,” the state’s health secretary Arati Ahuja said.