The trial of Olisa Metuh, former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, is to resume Tuesday, a federal court ruled. The case before Justice Okon Abang had been suspended for about six months due to Metuh’s application for stay of proceeding before the Supreme Court. However, the apex court ruled in favour of the lower court, ordering that the trial resumed.
Speaking on Monday, Justice Abang said, “The coast is now clear for the resumption of the trial that was suspended to abide the outcome of the application dated March 17, 2017. The application has been dismissed.
“In the light of this, the matter is adjourned until 1 pm on June 20, 2017, for further hearing of the first defendant’s case.
“In my view, the application for an adjournment of further trial to abide the occurrence of an event in future is seeking to stay proceedings,” Justice Abang ruled.
Dismissing the application in line with the June 9, 2017,decision of the Supreme Court, Justice Abang ruled, “By virtue of section 306 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015 this court has no power to stay proceedings in a criminal trial,” Metuh said.
Metuh is facing a corruption charge preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. The EFCC alleged Metuh’s company Destra Investments Limited laundered $2m and N400m received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014 allegedly to fund the PDP’s 2015 presidential campaign.
Moreover, Justice Abang also refused Metuh’s request to travel to the United States for medical treatment.