The Nigeria Army has insisted that ‘Operation Python Dance II’ in the South-East will start on Friday.
On Thursday, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State stated in a press conference that the army had agreed to pull its troops out of Aba and Umuahia—two of the most volatile areas of the state.
However, Daily Post had earlier reported that Brigadier-General Sani Usman, Spokesperson of the Army said troops would carry out its operation ‘Python Dance’ to “logical completion” in the state.
“The attention of the Nigerian army has been drawn to some stories in the media that it is withdrawing its troops from Exercise Egwu Eke II, crediting such information to Abia state Governor and the general officer commanding 82 division Nigerian Army. This is not true. The Nigerian army wishes to enjoin members of the public to disregards such rumours”.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Abia state governor in his speech stated that ‘there will be gradual withdrawal of soldiers on the streets of Aba and Umuahia from tomorrow’ (Friday). This should not be misconstrued as withdrawing of troops earmarked for Exercise Egwu Eke II. The general officer commanding 82 division has not said such thing,”. Sani was quoted to have said on Thursday.
The Army spokesman also stated that Commanding Officers in the operation have been instructed to ensure that all hands are on deck to commence the exercise and see it through to its logical completion.
By Ashaolu Oluwafemi