Having an erection during an important meeting with prospective clients can be very embarrassing. It can make you seem unserious or send the wrong signal that you’ve been fantasising about getting dirty with the hottest chic on your clients team.
The following are some things you can do to help stop an erection. These tips may also help you to avoid getting an erection in the first place.
1. Distract yourselfOne of the first things you should do to get rid of an unwanted erection is to think about something else. Don t think about the erection and avoid thinking arousing thoughts. Instead, think about something that will distract you, like a challenging word or math problem. Keeping your mind busy can also help you prevent unwanted erections from starting.
2. Shift your positionShifting your position can have two benefits. In some cases, your clothing, or the way you re moving or sitting, could be stimulating your penis and causing the erection. Changing positions can help remove that stimulation and stop the erection. Shifting your position can also help to hide the erection. If you have pockets, place a hand in your pocket and gently reposition the erection. That can also help you to conceal it.
3. MeditationClearing your mind works in a similar way to thinking distracting thoughts. The goal is to avoid thinking about your erection or anything arousing. Meditation can also be a useful way to avoid getting an erection, such as during a massage or in another situation that you would typically find arousing. If you re new to meditation, breathe normally and focus on your breaths. This is known as focused or concentration meditation. You can also try repeating a single word in your head. If you find your mind returning to thoughts of your erection, shift your thoughts back to your breathing or the word youre mentally repeating. Not only can meditation help you relax, but it can also help your erection to go away. Meditation takes practice, so if you d like this to be your go-to tool for getting rid of an erection, consider practicing mediation regularly throughout the day. Try meditating for a few minutes first thing in the morning and at the end of the day. There are also many meditation apps and guided meditation podcasts and albums you can use to help you practice meditating.
4. Calm down and wait it outFor some men, waiting for the erection to go away on its own may be the simplest solution. If youre able to, sit down, slow your breathing, and dont panic. If you have a jacket or a long shirt, you can use that to cover the erection so its not visible to other people. You can also disguise it by holding a laptop over your lap. Remember that your erection is likely more noticeable to you than to other people. Its also a sign that your genitals are healthy and functioning properly.
5. Take a cold showerIf youre able, taking a cold shower may help. Of course, if an erection happens while in a meeting or out on a date, jumping in the shower probably isnt an option. For some men, the sensation of the shower water against their bodies may also increase arousal, so youll want to use this method with caution.
If your erection lasts longer than four hours, contact your local emergency services. This condition is known as priapism. Priapism can damage the tissue in the penis and may lead to permanent erectile dysfunction when left untreated. A painful erection may also be a sign of priapism. Erections without orgasm can sometimes lead to epididymal hypertension (EH), also known colloquially as blue balls. EH is not usually a serious condition, and it often resolves once you re no longer aroused.
It is however important to know that erections are a normal, healthy body function. They begin early in life, and can even occur while a fetus is still in the womb. As you get older, you may begin to notice a decline in the frequency of your erections, or you may find it more difficult to reach erection.