Female Undergraduate Dies In Kerosene Explosion


Ogolo Eke, a 100-level student of the Cross River University of Technology, Calabar, has died after a kerosene explosion in her apartment. The student of Microbiology was said to have been refillig a kerosene lantern before the incident happened on Wednesday.

Her neighbours told PUNCH Metro that se was burnt beyond recognition. She was taken to a hospital where she died. One Ekere Kelvin said they heard the explosion in her room and rushed to the scene to help her. He said that she had been severely burnt on her face and chest.

A family member, Felix Eke, said Ogolo’s death dealt a big blow to the family. He said the 21-year-old had just matriculated into the university two weeks from her death.

Meanwhile, it was learnt that there was another kerosene explosion in a house around the Eight Mile area hours. A female teacher was said to have suffered burns in the explosion which happened after Ogolo's. Ignatiu Agbama, a witness, told the same medium that they had stopped patronising black marketers as they suspected there was a problem from the supply chain.

Lawrence Agim, the state Chairman of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, vowed to ensure that the circulation of adulterated kerosene was checked.

Latest in this Category