The Nigerian Government has dismissed the claim by a journalist, Ahmad Salkida that many Chibok girls died in Boko Haram captivity, remaining only 15 who had been married off to their captors. Salkida, who claimed to be previously involved in the negotiation for the release of the girls, made the latest claim in a series of tweets on Saturday.
“My heartfelt condolences to the parents of the near 100 that have perished or have not returned home and apparently not with their captors. But you must always remember that your daughters were stronger than the rest of us that couldn't do more to avert this catastrophe”, says one of Salkida’s tweet.
Also, Salkida claimed a previous attempt – he was involved in- at getting the girls released through a prison swap deal was called off by the Jonathan’s administration just as it neared conclusion.
However, Garba Shehu, a presidential media assistant, said Salkida had never been involved in the negotiation for the release of the girls.
Shehu said: “Following the numerous press enquiries on the information contained in the series of tweets by Mr Ahmed Salkida, we wish to reiterate that the information is not known to the officials of this administration either from the captors of the Chibok girls or the international intercessors who are working with us.
“We wish to confirm that Mr Salkida is not involved, on behalf of the Nigerian government in the processes leading to the release of the over 100 Chibok Girls that have returned to their families, so far , and is not involved in the current processes to secure the release of those still held in captivity.’’