Ebola: 19 Dead, 39 Infected In Congo – WHO

Democratic Republic of Congo reported 39 suspected, probable or confirmed cases of Ebola between April 4 and May 13, including 19 deaths, the World Health Organization said on Monday.

It said 393 people who identified as contacts of Ebola patients were being followed up. Information about the outbreak in Bikoro, Iboko and Wangata health zones in Equateur province was still limited, the WHO said in a statement.

At present the outbreak did not meet the criteria for declaring a “public health event of international concern”, which would trigger the formation of an emergency WHO committee.

The global health outfit on Sunday confirmed to Reuters in a telephone interview that it had some 4,000 Ebola vaccines ready to be deployed across the DRC.

WHO’s Africa director, Matshidiso Moeti, told Reuters on Sunday: “We’re working on the deployment of these materials, especially readying the cold chain. The start date of the vaccinations will depend on this deployment.”

The deadly Ebola virus resurfaced in DRC last week pushing the WHO is quickly move in to liaise with authorities in the country to contain the spread.

REUTERS

Sign up for our Newsletter

Enter your email and stay on top of things,

Subscribe!