Newlywed Burnt To Death In Port Harcourt

A man identified simply as Alozie, who got married recently has reportedly died after getting burnt in a kerosene fire incident.

The deceased resided at No. 5, Obudu Street, Diobu area of Port Harcourt, Rivers State. He was said to have been cooking with a kerosene stove which caused an explosion in his apartment.

Read Also: Newlywed Man Shoots Wife For Refusing Sex

According to the landlady of the deceased, Alozie rushed home on Thursday afternoon from his shop to make food for his wife and three-month-old baby.

“Alozie came home from his shop, where he sells dried pepper and also grinds it, to arrange afternoon food. As he was adding kerosene to the stove while it was still on, it caught fire and he (Alozie) struggled to extinguish it before the fire burnt his stomach and genitals.

“When his co-tenant saw smoke coming out of his house and rushed in to investigate, Alozie was already unconsciously lying on the ground. He was immediately rushed to Mile One Hospital for help, but was confirmed dead this morning,” the landlady said.

Victor Akpakpan, Information Officer of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, confirmed the incident. He told The PUNCH that the agency had always embarked on sensitization programmes on disaster risk reduction.

He also urged members of the public to avoid acts capable of getting them injured or causing disaster within their environment.

 

You should also read

Sign up for our Newsletter

Enter your email and stay on top of things,

Subscribe!