Issac Okorofar, the spokesperson for the Central Bank of Nigeria, says media reports of a fire outbreak therein was false. In his statemet, Okorafor said a passer-by had raised the false alarm after sighting a billow of smoke from the CBN generator house which he mistook for a fire.
“The CBN maintains a total security system that triggers safety alarms in the presence of smoke and so all fire engines and personnel received the alert only to discover that it was an unusual pall of exhaust.
“The affected generator has been rested and normal work has been going on uninterrupted, while the engineers are working to rectify the issues with the generator.
“We hereby assure the general public that there has been no fire at our building, ” he said.
A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), who visited the bank headquarters, gathered that a huge smoke, which began at about 6 p.m. from a generator located some few metres away from the CBN main building was noticed by members of the public.
The huge smoke covered a section of the CBN building up to the roof and left the security guards and other staff on duty in frenzy.
However, the situation was brought under control by the staff of bank’s internal fire control department.