Senate Committee To Probe NASS Invasion, Mace Theft


Bukola Saraki, Senate President, has inaugurated a joint ad hoc committee to investigate the theft of the mace by suspected thugs.  Saraki, while inaugurating the committee whose members were picked from the Senate and House of Representatives, noted that those who attacked the Senate on April 18, 2018, were led by a serving senator. Bala Ibn Na'Allah, Deputy Majority Leader of the Senate, was appointed chairman of the committee.

“The events of the 18th of April, 2018, will go down as one of the darkest days of our democracy. The precincts of the National Assembly is not just a place where the National Assembly meets, it is the symbol of our liberty and freedom from autocracy and the base of our democracy.

“This should not happen. It should never have happened. The violation of this solemn place, the symbol of our liberty to have a government by the representatives of our people for our people, by a group of mobsters and criminals cannot simply be ignored.

“It has been inferred in many quarters that this group of thugs and urchins were led by a serving distinguished Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, (this) is most despicable and unspeakable.

“It is clear and remains the duty of the legislature acts, when faced with behaviours that undermine its fundamental integrity like this one, to restore the integrity of the institution. We owe it as a duty not only to this present National Assembly but also those to precede it, that the legislative process is purged of this dirt and the legislature restored to its full place of dignity.

“This is a duty that must be achieved. We cannot let a precedence proceed from this. Everyone involved from conception to execution of this heinous crime must be brought to book,” Saraki said. recalls that Aliyu Sabi-Abdullahi, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, had accused Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, who been suspended for 90 days, of leaading the thugs into the National Assembly chambers.

Omo-Agege had been arrested by police but was later released. He later denied any involvement with the incident.

Latest in this Category