The Sokoto State Government on Wednesday conducted a mass burial for 32 victims, who were killed when suspected gunmen on motorcycles invaded villages in Rabah Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday.
Governor Aminu Tambuwal, the state governor, disclosed this when six governors paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Sokoto, on Thursday.
The visiting governors were from the states of Zamfara, Borno, Niger, Jigawa, Katsina and Adamawa.
The governor, who said the incident was the first of its kind in the state, also disclosed that seven other persons were killed in the incident, raising the death toll to 39.
He said, “We buried 32 people yesterday but when we were leaving the area, they brought additional seven bodies with one severely damaged which brought the total number to 39.
“This is the first time Sokoto will be having this kind of challenge. We have been facing pressure from neighbouring Zamfara State, and we have been working very closely with the governor of Zamfara State to make sure that the security threat did not degenerate to this level.
“But unfortunately, these marauders invaded Tabanni village, killing and maiming people. These marauders never took away even a chicken; they only came to kill, and left.”
Governor Tambuwal thanked the visiting Governors for identifying with the state during their difficult time.
Speaking earlier on behalf of his colleagues, AbdulAzeez Abubakar Yari, Zamfara State Governor and Chairman, Nigeria Governors Forum, condemned the attacks, which he described as “ugly.”
Governor Yari said, “We came to Sokoto to condole with our colleague governor and the good people of the state for the loss. We are concerned about this ugly incident. About 11 of us planned to come over for this condolence but some couldn’t make it.
“This incident is regrettable and we know how painful it can be losing loved ones and relatives, but we pray that God will console them and protect our country.”