Bomb Blast Kills Eight Burkina Faso Soldiers

single-image
Eight soldiers were killed on Wednesday following a bomb blast in the troubled north of Burkina Faso.
According to AFP, the death of the soldiers was announced by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore.
The convoy had been heading from Baraboule in Soum province, where jihadists have carried out a string of attacks since 2015, to the town of Djibo.
A security source told AFP the lead vehicle in the convoy hit the mine as it was coming off a bridge.
Kabore expressed his deepest condolences to the defence and security forces, to the families and relatives of the victims.
“I have just learned that eight Burkinabe soldiers died after their vehicle drove over a home-made mine planted by the enemies of our people,” he said.
“These horrible and cowardly attacks will never sap our common resolve to defend our national territorial integrity, to restore peace and security for the happiness and prosperity of the Burkinabe people.”
Burkina Faso started experiencing cross-border jihadist attacks in its northern region in 2015 — an offensive that has now spread to the east of the country.
On Sunday, three miners — a Burkinabe national, an Indian and a South African — were seized by armed men between Djibo and a local gold mine.
Hours later, three police officers deployed to help search for the trio were killed in a clash with armed men at Tongomael, about 30 kilometres (20 miles) away.

Latest in this Category