Christmas, celebrated on December 25 is the most popular holiday in the world. It’s a day filled with happiness and love no doubt, but how much do you know about Christmas? Below are 12 interesting facts to brush up your knowledge about Christmas:
1. Santa Claus was originally St. Nicholas, a Christian bishop of the 4th century living in (now) Turkey. St. Nicholas was very wealthy, and instead of spending it on himself, he would give it to the needy.
2. Jingle Bells, the famous Christmas song, written by James Pierpont in 1857, was actually for Thanksgiving, not Christmas. And the song was originally called, â€œOne Horse Open Sleighâ€.
3. The term Christmas is derived from the world Christâ€™s Mass. In olden times, which was around 1038, Christmas was called CristesmÃ¦sse, which meant â€˜Christian Massâ€.
4. Celebrating Christmas was considered illegal from the years 1659 to 1681. People were fined when they were caught celebrating.
5. The Statue of Liberty was gifted to the USÂ by the French on Christmas day in 1886. It weighs 225 tons and thus may be the biggest Christmas gift in the world.
6. The Friday and Saturday before Christmas are the busiest shopping days and not the Black Friday.
7. In the world, there are two islands that are named ‘Christmas’ – one is in the Pacific Ocean and the other in the Indian Ocean.
8. It takes 6-8 years for a Christmas tree to be fully grown, sometimes it can take 15.
9. Though Santa Claus has worn blue and white and green in the past, his traditional red suit came from a 1930s ad by Coca Cola.