How Evans Shot Young Shall Grow Chairman, Killed Two Escorts – Witness


A police officer, Idowu Haruna, on Wednesday, said that suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, better known as Evans shot Obianuju Vincent, the Chairman of the Young Shall Grow motors (YSG), in an attempt to kidnap him.

Haruna, attached to the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team said that Evans shot Vincent on his right arm and killed two of his escorts.

He said that the incident occurred incident occurred on August 27, 2013, at Third Avenue Festac Town.

The witness disclosed this before a state High Court, sitting in Ikeja Lagos while being led in evidence by the prosecuting counsel, Adebayo Haruna.

Standing alongside Evans on a seven count charge of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to kidnap and selling of firearms, include: Joseph Ikenna Emeka, 29, Chiemeka Arinze, 39, Udeme Frank Upong, 43.

“I recognize the defendants as those who attempted to kidnap the chairman of Young Shall Grow motors, Chief Obianuju Vincent sometime in 2013,” the witness said.

“The YSG chairman was returning from a game house along Festac Town when his convoy was attacked by heavily armed men led by Evans.

“During the attack, the YSG chairman WA shot on his right arm while his driver, one Mr Peter Nweke was shot dead. One of his escorts, Chijoke Ngozi (female) was also shot dead.

“During a gun duel between the chairman’s police escorts and the gang, three of kidnappers were shot dead by Inspector Solomon Igwe, while the rest fled from the scene.

“Two rifles belonging to the gang members were later recovered by the Festac Police Division, when the case was reported.”

Haruna further told the court that the case was subsequently assigned to his team.

“Immediately the matter was assigned to my team, we arrested the 1st defendant (Evans), who narrated the entire operation to us,” he said.

“Evans told us that he is the leader and the one who led the gang to the operation. Evans mentioned the 3rd defendant (Arinze) as the informant of the operation.

“He told us that Arinze had monitored the movement of the YSG chairman for four days in order to give him a detailed information of his routine.

“Evans also named the 2nd defendant (Emeka) as his syndicate in all criminal activities while the 4th defendant (Upong) supplied him with the weapons and firearms.

“Evans told us that the operation failed because he was misinformed by Arinze, who did not mention that Chief Vincent would be going out that day with police escorts.

“Evans also told us, during interrogation, that he came to Lagos after his former gang members ran away with the loot of his last operation,” Haruna said.

The witness also denied obtaining Evans’ forcefully. He said that the defendant wrote his statement voluntarily while in custody.

“The 1st & 2nd defendants volunteered a statement to me and I recorded and read it to them afterwards,” said Haruna.

“The 3rd & 4th defendants also volunteered their statements to another police officer, Sergeant Titilayo, who recorded same and read to them.

“After the statements were read to all of them, they signed it without being coerced. The statements was also taken to a superior officer, ASP Renwane Philips, who counter signed,” the officer said.

Haruna further told the court that Evans apologized to the victim for killing two of his escorts.

“When the victim came to the station, Evans knelt before him and apologized for killing his two escorts. He told him that he was sorry for their deaths and that it was a mistake,” said Haruna.

“Evans told the victim that he had no intention of killing anyone during the operation but only wanted to kidnap him and later demand for ransom.

“Evans begged that he was misinformed about the victim’s police escorts who were also armed,” Haruna said.

The presiding Judge, Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo, adjourned the matter till January 6, 2019 for continuation of trial.

Latest in this Category