The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) has announced that it will hold a nationwide protest on Tuesday (tomorrow) over the inability of the Federal Government to fast-track the process of increasing the minimum wage to N30,000.
Peter Ozo-Eson, NLC General Secretary of the NLC, made this known in a statement issued by the labour union on Monday.
The NLC cited the failure of President Muhammadu Buhari to implement the recommendations of the tripartite committee and forward a bill to the National Assembly in respect of the minimum wage as the reason for “nationwide mass mobilisation and protests” scheduled for tomorrow.
It, however, confirmed that its actions tomorrow should not be translated to mean a strike by Nigerians, especially the media..
“It has come to our attention that some sections of the news media have largely misrepresented our action plan in reaction to the delay in transmitting the recommendations of the Tripartite Committee on a new national minimum wage to the National Assembly by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“It should be recalled that the National Executive Council of the NLC met on December 17 last year and directed that we hold nationwide mobilisation of workers and our allies if, by December 31, 2018, the bill on the national minimum wage has yet to be sent to the National Assembly to be passed as an Act of Parliament.
“We immediately announced then that on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, there will be a nationwide mass mobilisation and protests simultaneously across all states in Nigeria. This does not translate to a strike,” the statement partly read.
Newsbreak.ng recalls that Ayuba Wabba, NLC President, had last Wednesday said the labour unions would commence an industrial action tomorrow over the minimum wage saga, labelling the present efforts of the executive as “dilly-dallying.”
Wabba had said: “Government’s dilly-dallying on the issue has strained Government-Labour relations with a potential for a major national strike which could just be days away.”