African star apple (Udara) popularly called Agbalumo in Western Nigeria, is a fleshy pulp and often eaten as a snack. Being a seasonal fruit (produced during the dry season between December and April), it is currently in abundance flooding the market places and street walkways. Below are six amazing health benefits of Udara as highlighted by Flatimes.
Health Benefits of Udara/Agbalumo (African Star Apple)
- As with most fruits, it has low calorie because of its little fat content so it is definitely a healthy food.
- It is a superb snack because its high fibre content provides food bulk which both increases satiety and aids digestion so it is very ideal for weight watchers.
- It has a surprisingly decent amount of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Clearly, Vitamin C sources are not exclusive to the citrus fruits family- in fact, Guava has much more!
- Recently published researches done here in Nigeria about Udara/Agbalumo leaves carried out on rats showed two possible medicinal uses:
- It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders, and
- Its leaf extract contains Hypoglycemic (to treat Diabetes) and Anti-Platelet activities, although it also had toxic effects on some organs.