Tyson Fury’s Rematch With Wilder Postponed

single-image

The highly anticipated rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been postponed, the World Boxing Council has announced.

“The WBC has received communications as our process and while Wilder confirmed its willingness to fight the rematch, Fury will take on another fight with expectations to do a rematch at a later date,” the WBC tweeted on Tuesday.

Fury will face his next challenger in either May or June, with Wilder’s next fight likely to take place on May 18, against an opponent that is yet to be determined.

But the British boxer says he “hopes” to fight Wilder before the end of the year, according to ESPN.

Fury signed a promotional deal with Top Rank last week, which will see his fights broadcast on ESPN, but the deal could complicate his negotiations since he is already signed on Showtime.

The WBC ordered a rematch between the two boxers, following their controversial split draw on December 1, 2018.

Wilder, who retained his heavyweight title, knocked Fury down in the ninth and 12th rounds. Fury appeared to be down in the final round, but later turned fought back.  

Fans were reportedly left angry over the judges’ scores.

Fury, a former world champion, continued the beef on Twitter recently, saying: “I will fight anyone in boxing world, Don’t use politics as an excuse not to challenge me the lineal heavyweight champ!”

Wilder responded on Tuesday to Fury’s taunt:

“We knew you only said this because you knew you wasn’t fighting me next,” Wilder said. 

“You requested a warm-up fight first. I don’t blame you. I probably would too if I saw my brains splashed all over the canvas.”

 

 

Latest in this Category