President Donald Trump of the United States on Wednesday used a ceremony to honour the nearly 3,000 people, who died in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to warn that any future attack would be met with a large military response.
Speaking at a ceremony marking the 18th anniversary of the attacks, Trump spoke about the strength of the U.S. military and its resolve to defend the U.S. as he noted current attempts to end the war in Afghanistan.
“If for any reason they come back to our country, we will go wherever they are, and use power, the likes of which the U.S. has never used before,” Trump said.
The president said he was not referring to the use of nuclear forces, but said the U.S. military response would be such that “they will never have seen anything like what will happen to them”.
Trump referred to his decision last week to call off peace talks scheduled with leaders of the Taliban over the conflict in Afghanistan, which began a few weeks after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and which has turned into America’s longest war.
He reiterated that he had called off the talks after a car bombing that killed a U.S. soldier and 11 other people.
“They thought they would use this attack to show strength, but actually what they showed is unrelenting weakness,” he said, adding that in the last four days the U.S. military has hit its enemy in Afghanistan “harder than they have ever been hit before. And that will continue.”