Home / News / International / Cancer Patient Dies After Being Set On Fire During Operation

Cancer Patient Dies After Being Set On Fire During Operation

A patient has died after being set on fire during surgery in a Romanian hospital.

Surgeons at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before carrying out her operation for pancreatic cancer on 22 December.

But they then used an electric scalpel – which, as it came into contact with the alcohol, set the woman’s body alight on the operating table.

She suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body, and died in hospital a week later.

Police have opened an investigation into the woman’s death, local media report.

The victim’s family told Romanian media they hadn’t been told of “the gravity of the situation” or the details of what had happened – only that it was “an accident”.

“We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations. We aren’t making accusations, we just want to understand what happened,” the family of the deceased said.

Health Minister, Victor Costache, has promised to investigate the “traumatic” incident.

“We hope to learn from this troubling episode,” he said in a statement. “Both myself and the Ministry of Health team that I coordinate will do everything possible to find out the truth.”

Deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan added: “The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel.”

BBC

About Gabriel Ntoka

Check Also

Uduaghan Returns To PDP After One Year In APC

Emmanuel Uduaghan, the immediate past governor of Delta State, has returned to the Peoples Democratic …

Former Kano Chief Judge, Atiku, Laid To Rest

Shehu Atiku, former Chief Judge of Kano State High Court of Justice, has been laid …

Leave a Reply

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
WhatsApp Newsbreak