The Federal Government has commenced the demolition of illegal structures under some federal-owned bridges in Lagos State.
The exercise began on Friday with the demolition a fence built under the Apongbon Bridge on the CMS-bound carriageway on Lagos Island.
The fence, which was still under construction, had been raised by seven to eight coaches on various sections.
Musiliat Aloba, a senior engineer in the Federal Ministry of Works, led a team of engineers and security operatives on the exercise.
She, however, said she was not obliged to speak to the press, adding that said she was acting on instruction.
“I am not directed to speak to anyone. Please come to the Federal Ministry of Works,’’ she said.
The team went further to demolish fences concealing about 300 metres under the Obalende/Apongbon Flyover Bridge on the CMS-bound carriageway.
However, the team faced some resistance at the demolition of some fences under the CMS Bridge.
Some workers on-site attempted to resist the demolition, arguing that it was a legal project which had an approval.
But Aloba insisted that “nothing must block under the bridges’’.
“When you conceal the bridge, nobody can see what happens under. The Federal Government has lost so much money due to burnt bridges,’’ she explained.
Adedamola Kuti, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, in an interview said the removal of illegal structures under bridges was a continuous exercise.
Kuti explained that the ministry began the demolition in 2018, saying that it was aimed at safeguarding the bridges from all forms of abuses causing damage to them.
“It is an ongoing exercise to protect our bridges from abuse and damage,’’ Kuti told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
The works controller debunked the claims by some people, who said they had the approval to build structures under any bridge in Lagos State.
He explained that the demolition of other illegal structures under bridges where notices had been served in the past would soon commence.