Fire gutted the residence of David Mark, a former Senate President, in the GRA area of Otukpo, Benue State, on Thursday.
The fire, according to some workers in the compound, began from a nearby bush near the fence of Mark’s guest house.
Although no life was lost, two ambulances and over 15 motorcycles were burnt as a result of the inferno.
According to some of the workers, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, they tried to extinguish the fire but it kept spreading.
Following their inability to quench the fire, they called on the Benue State Fire Service to rescue them.
“We made efforts to quench the fire but the more we tried, the more it continued to spread. It was when we noticed that we could not stop it that we called the fire service so that the inferno would not consume the guest house,” the worker said.
The former Senate President was said not to have at home at the time of the incident.
One of his aides, Adakoke Elijah, who confirmed the incident, stated, “Earlier this morning (Thursday), a fire incident was reported in the Otukpo residence of the former Senate President, Dr David Mark.
“The cause of the incident has yet to be ascertained but some properties, including 15 motorcycles and two vehicles, were burnt.
“The arrival of fire service personnel prevented the inferno from spreading to the entire building.
“The fire has since been extinguished. No life was lost.”