Home / News / International / Huawei Sacks 600 Workers In U.S.
Huawei

Huawei Sacks 600 Workers In U.S.

Chinese technology hardware giant, Huawei, is laying off more than 600 workers in the United States of America, as it continues to struggle with restrictions from Donald Trump’s administration.

The layoffs, which was announced on Tuesday, will affect staff at  Futurewei, which is Huawei’s US-based research and development subsidiary.

The company blamed the sack on a “curtailment of business operations”, caused by the US’ restrictions.

“Decisions like this are never easy to make,” Hauwei said in a statement.

Read Also: Troops Kill 78 Bandits In Zamfara

 

Futurewei will continue to operate in strict compliance with US local laws and regulations.”

The company had warned that the pressures placed on it by Trump would result in loss of jobs in the US. The Wall Street Journal reported last week that layoffs were imminent for its US-based employees.

“Given the United States’ vulnerability in cyberspace, I think the government is bending over backwards to make America safe, but they’re going too far,” Andy Purdy, Huawei’s chief security officer and former head of the US Department of Homeland Security’s national cybersecurity division, told CNN last week.

“If we are forced to go our way, we’ll be okay. But in the long term, I don’t know that Huawei will come back [to America] and I think America will be hurt.”

US President, Trump, in May signed an executive order, barring US companies from using telecommunication equipment from sources the administration deems a national security threat.

That action directly targeted China and Huawei, a leader in 5G technology and a global business with revenue of more than $100 billion.

The US has said it would ease restrictions on the ban but the details remain unclear.

About Tony Nwanne

Check Also

My Client Was Stripped Naked, Handcuffed 11 Times, Says Assange’s Lawyer

Julian Assange was stripped naked twice and handcuffed 11 times coming and going from the …

Coronavirus May Be ‘Around For Months’, Warns WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday that the new coronavirus might be around …

One comment

  1. Pingback: Newsbreak.ng

Leave a Reply

WhatsApp Newsbreak