Andy Ruiz Jr., the unified world heavyweight champion, has said he wants to end Anthony Joshua’s career in Saudi Arabia, after confirming that a rematch has been agreed by the duo.
The American-born Mexican shocked Joshua in New York, to win the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO world titles.
The pair have agreed to a rematch in the middle east on December 7.
“I took it to AJ in the Big Apple and I’m looking forward to ending his career in the desert,” Ruiz said.
Joshua’s camp announced the fight earlier this month, but Ruiz had not confirmed his participation.
But he posted a message confirming his participation in the rematch on social media on Saturday:
“I’m excited to announce my rematch with Anthony Joshua.
“In the first fight I made history and became the first-ever Mexican/American heavyweight champion of the world.
“I am grateful to Saudi Arabia for inviting me,” he added.
However, human rights campaigners have questioned the choice of Saudi as venue of the fight, citing the country’s human rights record.
Amnesty International said the fight provides “opportunity for the Saudi authorities to try to ‘sportswash’ their severely tarnished image”.