The death toll of Indonesia’s multiple quakes that triggered tsunami in Central Sulawesi province last Friday, has risen to 1,249, while 799 people have sustained serious injuries, a governmental disaster official said on Tuesday.
More than 152 people are still being buried under debris or wreckage of buildings, a Spokesman for National Disaster Management Agency, Sutopo Nugroho said.
“Three communication operators have resumed their services in the province, ‘’ Nugroho said.
The spokesman reaffirmed that planes which could land in a short runway of 2,000 metres, adding that tents, water treatment, field hospitals and medical personnel were the urgent assistance required in the quake-hit areas.
Nugroho said that by far, 26 foreign countries and two international organisations had offered relief aids to the Indonesian Government.
He noted that 122 foreign citizens had been evacuated from the quake-affected areas.
Powerful and shallow under-earth quakes of 6.0, 7.4 and 6.1 magnitude, followed by a tsunami, devastated the province of Central Sulawesi, with the hardest-hit area in Palu, the provincial capital and Donggala district.
The tsunami with the height of 0.5 to 3 metres devastated coastal areas near Talisa beach in Palu city and Donggala district.
Indonesia is prone to quake, as it sits on a vulnerable quake-affected area called “the Pacific Ring of Fire’’.