Newcastle Owner, Ashley, Reportedly Blames Benitez’s Exit On Bin Zayed

single-image

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, has blamed Rafael Benitez’s exit from the club on the Bin Zayed Group, a report has said.

The former Liverpool manager will officially leave the club today, June 30, when his three-year contract expires.

According to the Gazette, the 59-year-old coach was unhappy with the offer made by Ashley, which prompted him refusing to sign a one-year deal.

The club announced last Monday that it had “not been possible” to reach an agreement over a new deal with Benitez.

The statement provoked angry reaction from fans, who had been desperate for Benitez to stay at Saint James’ Park.

Mirror Football claimed that Ashley ended contract talks with Benitez, following discussions with would-be buyer, Sheikh Khaled, who reportedly does not want the Spaniard as the club’s coach when he takes over the club.

Managing director, Lee Charnley, however, is now expected to appoint a new boss, who could yet be sacked by any new owner.

Manchester City assistant coach, Mikel Arteta, is said to be the favourite to take over at the club.

FA

ads

Latest in this Category

ads
WhatsApp Newsbreak