Niger Delta militants have vowed to resume attacks on oil facilities across the region, following the sack of David Lyon as governor of Bayelsa State.
The militants threatened that attacks on oil facilities will resume, if the mandate of Lyon, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), is not restored.
The Supreme Court last week, nullified Lyon’s election, and directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to swear in Duoye Diri, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The threat was contained in a letter released on Tuesday by a coalition of militant groups, under the aegis of Reformed Niger Delta Avengers (RNDA).
According to them, the letter has been served to the apex court and presidency, saying it is a notice of their preparation to resume hostilities on oil installations in the region.
The letter was signed by leaders of the nine militant groups from the nine states of the Niger Delta, led by Johnmark Ebi.
The coalition said though they have kept to the ceasefire agreement, and have been engaging in peace advocacy in the region, the recent ruling by the court is unacceptable and provocative.
RNDA said it decided to “abort ceasefire and declare hostilities in the Niger Delta because of the outcome of investigations which showed that great injustice was done to Lyon and APC by the court in cahoots with the Peoples Democratic Party.
“Failure to restore the mandate freely given by the people of Bayelsa on November 16, will result in unimaginable outcome.
“RNDA should not be held responsible for whatever damage that will lead to bombing of oil pipelines to cripple the economy of the country.”