Police in Brazil have dismissed rape allegations against Neymar, over lack of evidence, the Sao Paolo Attorney-General’s office said on Monday.
The police decision will be sent to prosecutors on Tuesday, who will have 15 days to evaluate the case, before a final ruling will be made by a judge, a spokesperson for the attorney general’s office told AFP.
Sao Paulo police are also due to hold a press conference on the development on Tuesday.
Neymar has denied allegations that he raped a Brazilian woman in a Paris hotel in May.
The incident, which has dominated headlines in the country’s football for weeks, overshadowed Brazil’s preparations for the Copa America, which they won.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward missed the tournament earlier this month, after he sustained an ankle injury in a warm-up friendly before the opening match.
The alleged rape scandal was broadcast in the country on June 2, when the former Barcelona player published a seven-minute video on Instagram, where he had first been in contact with his accuser, Najila Trindade, revealing that he had been accused of rape.
In an attempt to defend himself against the allegations, Neymar’s video was accompanied by WhatsApp messages and images of his encounter with Trindade without her consent. The act was considered as possibly breaking Brazilian law.
Clips of an interview, in which she accused the footballer of “aggression together with rape,” surfaced one hour before Neymar was due play in the friendly against Qatar.
He was subsequently questioned by the police over the WhatsApp messages.
He also made appearance at the police station in Sao Paulo, where Trindade had filed complaint against him in May.
As the case xontinued, police filed a defamation suit against Trindade, who was dropped by several lawyers after she insinuated the force was corrupt.
“The police are bought, aren’t they? Or am I crazy?” she told television channel SBT last month in response to questions over the police investigation of an alleged theft of a tablet device from her home that contained a short video she claims has conclusive evidence she was assaulted.
Despite the seriousness of the allegations, polls have shown that most Brazilians believe Neymar is innocent.