Some players of the Remo Star Football club have been hospitalized after food poisoning hit the club. About 13 players including goalkeeper’s trainer and the media officer of the club were among those hospitalized.
Michael Onikute, secretary of the team, who confirmed the incident said the affected players are already receiving medical attention and would be on their feet soonest.
He said the situation was so bad that their Nigeria Professional Football League clash against the Anambra Warriors of Ifeanyi Ubah Football club meant to hold yesterday Sunday was cancelled.
“It’s such a disastrous incident we have prepared well for the game against Ifeanyi Ubah,” Onikute said in a statement.
“The players were resting after their dinner which was a meal of semovita and egusi – only to get a call that they are in pain and we had to rush them to the Ikenne Health Centre.
“13 players were affected as well as the goalkeeper trainer and media officer. It is sad this is happening to us on the eve of a vital match against Ifeanyi Uba,” he concluded.
Meanwhile, the League Management Company has rescheduled the matchday 28 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clash between Remo Stars and FC IfeanyiUbah to Tuesday in Sagamu.
By Tony Nwanne