The Joint Health Sector Union, JOHESU, says it will continue its nationwide strike until the federal government implements certain agreements reached between the two parties on September 30, 2017.
The union also said it will not be deterred by a court injunction compelling its members to return to work.
Josiah Biobelemoye, National chairman, JOHESU, said this on Monday at a rally in Abuja.
He said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.
Biobelemoye said: “I owe members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them take decisive position. And whatever they decide is final.
“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.
“No going back on the strike until those things are met.”
He said since the union embarked on the strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times.
He, however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backward.
Biobelemoye said the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion and added that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission, it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.
He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.
“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government,” he said.
“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement.”