By Ishaq Salami
The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, on Monday announced Paul Le Guen as the new coach of the Super Eagles. The announcement was made after a rigorous interview session to select Sunday Oliseh’s successor. The team had been handled by Samson Siasia and recently Salisu Yusuf.
Below are some things you should know about new Super Eagles Coach, Paul Le Guen who was appointed on Monday
- Paul Le Guen is the most successful manager at Olympique Lyonnais.
- He won four consecutive Ligue 1 titles. He resigned on May 9th, 2005 – a day after winning the fourth title.
- He won 17 caps for the French national teaam.
- Le Guen led Oman to qualify for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup but was relieved of his position on 19 November, 2015.
- Paul Le Guen qualified Cameroon for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. He announced his resignation on 24 June, 2010.
- Le Guen played at Stade Brestefor six years, Nantes Atlantique for two years, before leaving Brittany for St.Paris Germain where he played for seven years.
- Le Guen was noted for signing unknown players, when he was in Rennes such as Shabani Nonda and El Hadji Diouf, who under his guidance, developed into talented footballers.
- He resigned from his position at Lyon on 9th of May 2005, the day after the club won their fourth consecutive Ligue 1 championship.