We’re Still Hunting Thugs Who Snatched National Assembly Mace – Police

single-image

The police have said they are still searching for thugs who snatched the mace belonging to the national assembly last year.

Some thugs allegedly led by current deputy senate president, Omo-Agege, invaded the senate chamber and snatched the mace in April 2018.

Omo-Agege was arrested after the incident, but was subsequently released while police say they have launched an investigation into the incident, which generated a national outcry.

He was subsequently suspended by the senate for three months, however, he challenged the case in court, which ruled that the upper chamber does not have the power to suspend him.

The mace was subsequently found under a flyover near Abuja city gate, where it was abandoned hours later.

Read Also: Stop Arresting ‘Yahoo Boys’, Its Just A Game, Says BBNaija’s Gifty

Six suspects that were also arrested in connection with the incident were released by the police.

One year and three months after the debacle, the police said the case is still alive, but have not made any progress on it.

“The case was dropped because we are yet to apprehend all the thugs who stole the National Assembly’s symbol of authority. Although Omo-Agege was detained briefly in connection with the theft and released on personal recognition, the investigation has not ended or closed,” Sunday PUNCH quoted a top police source as saying.

“It could be revived anytime we have fresh facts or information. So,  it is wrong to say the Senator is out of the woods on account of his emergence as Deputy Senate President. We could invite him for interrogation when the need arises; he doesn’t have immunity from criminal prosecution.”

The PUNCH further said another source in the force said the testimony of the former Divisional Police Officer in the National Assembly, CSP Abdul Sulu-Gambari, indicting Omo-Agege and others, was part of the evidence linking the suspects to the incident.

In his testimony on before the joint Senate and House of Representatives ad hoc committee set up to investigate the invasion of the Senate on May 9, Sulu-Gambari blamed the incident on the conspiracy among some security agencies and lawmakers.

He also tendered photographs, identities and other exhibits recovered from some of the suspects arrested in connection with the incident.

 

ads

Latest in this Category

ads
WhatsApp Newsbreak